To help make your experience here as valuable as possible for you, we’ve put together a few tips to help you get started. (If you have any other questions, add them to the FAQ BNIonline discussion and we’ll answer them there)
Your ‘My Page’.This is your profile page, where other members can view your information, and leave public comments for you on your wall. Fill in this page as much as possible to help other members learn more about you.
You can re-order and move elements of your page around (eg so your profile information sits at the top of your page) – just hover your mouse over the brown bar until your mouse icon becomes an arrow, then drag and move!
- Your status: (not whether you’re married, but what you’re working on, or thinking about eg; looking for an iphone app developer). Your status also shows up on the home page – so a great way to share your message with all members.
- Your profile information (about you, your web address etc) – fill in all the gaps!
- Upload your profile pic (very important – you wouldn’t network with someone with a bag over their head would you!!)
Click on ‘Manage your page’ to change the settings for privacy, moderation and your email notifications.
- Add your blog or twitter feed in the RSS feed box on your ‘My Page’
- Add your twitter widget to the text box on your ‘My Page’
- Upload relevant BNI photos or videos to share with members. (We feature the best of the best on the home page) NOTE: We only allow up to FIVE business promotional type pictures
-Leave a message for another member on their
Wall messages are public – everyone can read these!
To reply to a comment on your wall, click on ‘comment back’ and you’ll be taken to their wall to leave a comment there.
To send a private message, you must be a friend first, and then you can ‘send a message’ – this is private and will appear in your friend’s inbox.
- Add a discussion eg; what’s a recurring issue for BNI members? Or ‘reply’ to an existing discussion.
-Ask a question (under the discussions tab) eg; what’s the difference between a lead and a referral? Do you know of a good commercial photographer? Etc etc. Or click on a question to answer a question.
-Set up a group for conversations on specific topics. eg BNI Head Office, BNI Newbies etc etc. Your group can be private and invite only too. Or join an existing group and join the conversation.
- Start your own blog eg; about your BNI chapter, about networking tips etc. Latest blog posts show up on the home page unless you make your private. Or comment on someone else’s blog.
Search for members - To search for a member, go to the members page, click on 'advanced search', and then enter a keyword in the relevant field eg: John in the Name field, or 'plumber' in the About my business field.
Most of all enjoy interacting, sharing and connecting with other BNI members!
Do you have a question about using the site? Add it to the discussion here.
Or email Fiona, BNIonline Community Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org